Development Permits

A development permit is required for most new businesses, construction, a change of use to land or buildings, and major renovations or structural changes to existing buildings.

Please see Section 2 of the Land Use Bylaw, available on our Bylaws Page for more information related to what activities require a development permit.


 Development Permit Applications

If you wish to develop or build on your property, or to start a business, please fill out a Development Permit Application Form from our Forms Page and submit it to the Town Office, located at 5017 Queen Street. The application will be evaluated based on whether it meets requirements set out in the Land Use Bylaw and what possible negative impact the proposed development may have on neighbours.

If the proposed development is a discretionary use as outlined in the Land Use Bylaw, letters outlining your proposed development will be delivered to surrounding neighbours and other potentially affected parties. They will then have two weeks to voice opposition by submitting a Subdivision and Development Appeal Application Form, found on our Forms Page, to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB). If no opposition is received, your development permit will be issued and mailed to you. If a development permit is denied, you may also file a notice of appeal to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board regarding their decision.

For more information about development permits, please see Part Four of the Land Use Bylaw.

 Next Steps

Once a development permit has been issued, builders will be required to obtain other required permits, such as building, electrical, gas, plumbing and private sewage permits from the Inspections Group.