Family & Community Support Services
To provide family support and community wellness opportunities.
If you've enjoyed a holiday event, participated in a community program, or enlisted your child in an activity here in Bruderheim, your life has likely been enriched by our Family and Community Support Services (FCSS) department.
Alberta Family and Community Support Services (FCSS) is an 80/20 funding partnership between the Province of Alberta and participating municipalities. Under FCSS, communities design and deliver social programs that are preventative in nature to promote and enhance well being among individuals, families and communities. The programs depend on community resources, often involving volunteers in management and delivery.
The programs developed are intended to help individuals in their community to adopt healthy lifestyles, thereby improving the quality of life and building the capacity to prevent and/or deal with crisis situations should they arise. The program is continually evolving, encouraging communities to strengthen themselves through citizen participation, self-help and volunteerism.
Did you know?
Beginning in 1988, Bruderheim was the first municipality in Lamont County to enter into this partnership and provide FCSS programming. FCSS has been adding flavour to life in Bruderheim for more than twenty years by providing a variety of activities and programs for residents.
Why are FCSS programs considered 'preventative'?
The goal of FCSS programming is to develop a sense of integrity, self-worth, and independence among individual members of the community and within the Town as a whole. The intention is that this will help to prevent a number of common personal and societal problems. FCSS programs focus on:
- Encouraging the adoption of healthy lifestyles,
- Strengthening and stabilizing family and community life,
- Improving people's ability to identify and act on their own needs,
- Helping to avoid family or community social breakdown, and
- Encouraging cooperation and coordination among community groups and service agencies.
Vital community services provided by FCSS:
- Community programs
- Parent and Tots Program
- True 2 You and Flex Program for youth (Grades 5 & 6)
- Summer programs for children and youth
- Annual Christmas Hamper Program: Community Partner
- Roots of Empathy Program: Community Partner
- PALS Program: Community Partner
- Community events
- Annual Seniors Lunch Event
- Annual Volunteer Appreciation Event
- What's Up in Bruderheim Community Awareness
- Subsidized family and individual counselling services (780-992-6267)
- Information, advocacy and referral
If you have any questions or concerns regarding planning and development, please contact:
Director of Community Relations
Town of Bruderheim
Phone: (780) 796-3731